Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Warning: Depressing Post, Yet Again

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone started to cry when telling me their story, unfortunately it finally happened while I was on a house visit Monday. She was such a wonderful woman who was clearly under a ridiculous amount of stress trying to raise her young son alone earning only about 50 dollars a week. She borrows her house and her son's father is apparently off with another woman and offers no support. She bought me some fruit which I tried to dissuade her from doing, the last thing she needs is to spend money on the gringa, but she insisted and so I left with two apples. This is a picture of her borrowed house, it has those aluminum walls and a dirt floor.










I try to find something positive to say about their homes as, "Wow! I love what you have done with the place!" might ring a bit hollow. Sometimes the only thing that I can come up with is the wonderful view. Being at the very top of the hill does have some benefits. This woman didn't really have any windows in her single room house so this is the view from directly in front of her home.










As of today I have gone on 24 house visits, that number will increase to 28 by the end of the week.

No comments: