Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Screamer



Geri mentioned to me a few days ago that there is a man in the neighborhood who occasionally wanders around and repeatedly screams at the top of his lungs. Apparently she hadn't heard him in awhile and of course being new to Jalatlaco (the name of the neighborhood) I had not heard him either. Well tonight he is out and about and totally giving me the heebie jeebies. When Geri said he screamed that was putting it mildly. This is an all-out excruciating wail. I'm in my room working and at regular intervals I hear this awful throat-grinding, guttural, pained yell that sounds like something out of science fiction flick. He is definitely going to need some Hall's cough drops after this session. I wonder if this is the same guy who was passed out on the sidewalk this morning with one shoe on....I had to step over him on my way to Spanish class. I am actually staying in a nice neighborhood despite the sleepy sidewalk drunks and the screamers, really I am.