Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rain and Weddings

My time in Oaxaca is coming to an end, at least for this year, I will return home August 12th. Unfortunately all the things I have been putting off, interviews, archival work, other boring research activities, I now have to accomplish in a very short amount of time. Yuck. It is also raining constantly here, or at least that is how it feels. I almost miss Tempe and the sun. Almost. When I return I will be teaching a little so no doubt I will have interesting stories of student mishaps, stay tuned. The guelaguetza (see prior posts) also begins this weekend so I'm hoping to have some great pictures to post from these festivities.

Below are some pictures of a Triqui wedding I went to in March, I have been meaning to post these but just haven't gotten around to it until now. I wasn't officially invited to the wedding, rather I went with someone from the Centro who I bumped into on the street. I loved the image of the red huipiles worn by the Triqui women juxtaposed with the traditional vestments of the Catholic church. Notice the priest standing in the doorway of the church as the women file towards the entrance.










A sea of red huipiles surrounded by images of the church.

No comments: