Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Argentina 2005 - Part 1

Unfortunately, due to dissertation writing and lack of funds, I do not have any fun travel experiences to blog about (though stay tuned for Las Vegas in March) so I thought I would post some photos from an Argentina trip in 2005. I went to visit my friend Shayne who had just finished his second (yes second) stint in Antarctica. I flew down to Buenos Aires and we decided to visit the southern portion of the country.

Buenos Aires is a fantastic city, the most European I have encountered thus far in South America. In the photo below I'm standing in front of the obelisk which divides the massive, 9 de Julio, claimed as the worlds largest avenue.









A better picture (lifted from the internet) to give a sense of scale.











After a few days in BA, we flew to Ushuaia which is at the southernmost edge of the South American continent in the region known as Tierra del Fuego. Not a terribly attractive town, made that much uglier by the giant date stamp in the corner of the photo below. I borrowed my mother's ancient camera for this trip and couldn't figure out how to remove the date stamp.









A map of the area, also lifted from the internet. You would think a geographer would simply create her own.






We hiked along the Beagle Channel, named after the HMS Beagle, the famous vessel which transported Darwin to the geographic locations of his (r)evolutionary discoveries. It was cold and rainy.



























We are here.









The next day we decided to hike a glacier accessed by a small ski area. Being unaccustomed to cold and snow (living in San Francisco and Arizona does not exactly prepare you for these conditions) I gave up rather quickly and went back to the small lodge for a beer. Shayne, having just returned from Antarctica, was a bit bolder than I and hiked up the hillside to the glacier.



More photos shortly.....

No comments: