Monday, February 11, 2008

Cartagena 2: Scenes from the Centro Historico

Below are some pictures I took today of the Centro Historico in Cartagena de Indias. The old city is really beautiful and surrounded by a wall built by the colonizers. This part of the city contains some of the best preserved examples of colonial architecture I have encountered. As always click on the photos to see them full size. Some street scenes..





































When I told people I was coming to Cartagena I think almost everyone said something about the movie Romancing the Stone as their only reference point for the city. Well apparently some savvy business owner realized that gringos might have this association and decided to capitalize on it...very cleverly I might add.











A little car (don't know what it is called), very similar to the one in the movie Romancing the Stone.










More street scenes...













Some Colombianos eating street food.










A picture of the wall surrounding the historic center. Wherever there are portals in the wall, those openings that were perhaps used for cannons (?), people are sitting escaping the midday sun. Click the photo for a better view.



















Below is a sculpture by a famous Colombian artist (whose name currently escapes me) that I thought will likely resemble me after eating so much this week in Colombia. Luckily she looks content with her roundness.

No comments: