Monday, March 26, 2007

Just before spring break

A student sent this email to the instructor for the class in which I'm a TA. Everything is reproduced exactly as written however the names have been changed to protect the innocent, and the stupid. Remember, this email was sent Friday morning just before spring break.

"hello, [instructor], this is Wilma Flintstone I am informing you that I will not be attending class today because I have the flu very badly to where its even very difficult to write this email, but I figured that I would let you know before starts today. I should be back on my feet again after the break. Thank you fir your time I am really sorry that I could not make it an I know chapter 8 is due today, do you believe it is possible for me to email it to you? I know it is an inconvenience on your part but I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
-wilma"

When she finally turned the assignment in, it was definitely worth the wait. This particular exercise was a simple identify the location where a certain crop is grown and then describe the type of agriculture predominant in the area given several categories such as dairying, ranching, Mediterranean agriculture etc. Here is her answer to this question.

"A commercial, intensive land use system in which seasonal vegetables are grown on "truck farms" for nearby cities.
Location: Boston-Washington
Agriculture: Nomadic Semi-nomadic herding"

Nomadic and semi-nomadic herding along the Boston-Washington corridor!!??!!

No comments: